Dowsing is a way of connecting your intuition or higher self with your logic or decision-making side. It will link your subconscious with your conscious and your right-brain with your left. You can access your own higher knowledge and intuition using the pendulum.
A pendulum works best for yes or no answers. Sometimes you can also get a clear neutral. These instructions can work for any pendulum, which is just a symmetrical weighted object on a string or chain.
I prefer a crystal pendulum but you can choose. A magnet is not suitable for dowsing.
HOW to use your pendulum
First, ground yourself and cleanse your pendulum of any previous energies by:
- Gently blow over every face, with the intention that any negative energies will flow away to be transmuted into good.
- Sound – use a tingsha bell, singing bowl, or drum.
- Pass it through the smoke from any incense or a sage smudging bundle.
- Hold in flowing or running water with the intention that any negative energies will flow down into the earth to be transmuted into good. (Not all crystals can be cleansed with water).
- Use your own method, such as Reiki.
Then, align it to your own energies:
- Hold the pendulum in the palm of your hand and close the other hand over it, asking it to work with you.
- Sit quietly for 5 to 10 minutes and focus your breathing and awareness into the pendulum.
Now you are ready to work. The first question you should ask your pendulum is how it will indicate:
- Hold the pendulum near the end of its chain or string with one hand, while the weighted end is sitting in the palm of the other hand.
- Gently lift it up by the chain and let it dangle to get the feel of it. If you need to wrap it gently round your index finger you can.
- Now hold the weighted part in your free hand again.
- Ask the pendulum “Please show me my yes”.
- Let it go, and watch the way it moves.
- It will either move in circles, side to side or forwards and back.
- If it moves in circles, note whether clockwise or anti-clockwise.
- Catch the crystal with your free hand again and thank it.
- Now ask again, “Please show me my no.” Again, once it has indicated, thank your pendulum.
- If you don’t get a really clear signal, repeat the process a couple of times.
- If you do get a clear signal, don’t be alarmed – it can seem spooky at first but it isn’t really.
You will find that your yes and no are not necessarily exact opposites; you may get circles and swinging, or just swinging in different directions.
After a while you will come to be confident enough about yes and no to recognise an inconclusive indicator.
Usually, I get swinging forwards and back or side to side for yes and no. Circles or just stillness therefore represent an “inconclusive” answer. Just try again in a few days or when you have new information.
WHEN to use your pendulum
Practise with your pendulum as often as you can, use fun questions such as “Is my middle name cake?”, or “Is it November?” just to get a feel for it.
As you get more confident you can use it to help with decisions, such as:
- Shall I buy this book?
- Shall I change my car this year?
- Do I feel confident going into business with this person?
- Will I still love this wallpaper in a couple of years?
- Is this the right crystal for this
A pendulum is also helpful for general guidance, like:
- Am I getting enough sleep?
- Might I be intolerant of this food?
- Did I leave my keys in the bedroom?
There are many other fun and useful things you can do with a pendulum, and many dowsing charts and more complex explanations available on the internet and in book form.
WHAT IF it doesn’t seem to be working?
Possible reasons might be:
- You are agitated or tired.
- You are in an altered state, e.g. alcohol, excess caffeine, jet lag.
- You are over anxious.
- You lack trust and love for yourself.
Just relax, trust, and try again later or the next day.